CFDM Arizona, a regional affiliate of Christian Formation and Direction Ministries, offers a two-year certificate program in Christian Formation and Spiritual Direction involving 6-8 intensives of 3-4 days; monthly retreat days; monthly spiritual direction; supervision for individual direction; group spiritual direction; and relation to a network of spiritual directors for peer supervision and support.
The Goals of the Program
• Mature into deeper intimacy and friendship with the Triune God
• Develop a theology of Christian spirituality by drawing on and integrating insights from Scripture, theology, historical traditions, psychology and related fields
• Discover the richness of one’s own spiritual tradition, as well as the gifts and blessings of other traditions
• Learn about, and engage in, spiritual habits and practices that facilitate spiritual growth
• Grow in balancing prayer, study and service and in developing practical wisdom based on Scripture, tradition, reason, and experience
• Gain skills in providing individual and group spiritual direction from a Christian contemplative perspective
• Participate in a creative partnership among Christian spiritual directors
General Structure of the Program
A Cohort consists of students who meet together three times during year one, and three times during year two. During the first year, the focus is on spiritual formation and the tools for becoming a spiritual director. During the second year, students will also be in monthly supervision as they engage in spiritual direction with 2-4 directees.
Attendance at the specified retreats is essential, due to the communal nature of the program.
Admission is open to individuals (lay or clergy) from any Christian denomination who have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and have training or demonstrable knowledge of Scripture and theology. Life experience is highly valued as is awareness of a potential call to be a spiritual director. Admission to the program is granted by the Admissions Committee of the Regional program, composed of the Executive Direction and Faculty and Staff. An application consists of the following:
• A completed application form and application fee
• A statement detailing educational background, work experience, Christian journey involvement in church and Christian service, and interest in the program
• Two letters of reference (one pastoral and one personal)
• An interview with one of the Program Faculty/Staff
Joyce Vidal-Thornburg, MA, CT, CSD. Bereavement Counselor for Hospice of the Valley with 20+ years of counseling experience; Spiritual director, Supervisor, and Executive Director of CFDM Arizona.
Ann Hott, CSD, Certified Spiritual Director/Supervisor. Director of Operations, Saint Barnabas on the Desert Episcopal Church.
Faculty: Kim de Beus, MA, CSD, Certified Spiritual Director, Reiki Practitioner
Guest Faculty: Rev. Dr. Catherine C. Gregg, D.Min., Co-Director of CFDM. Ordained Episcopal Priest, Canon for the Episcopal Diocese of Nevada, former Rector at Grace Episcopal Church in St. George, Utah, and former Director of both the Doctor of Ministry Program in Spirituality and the Certificate Program in Spiritual Direction at Azusa Pacific University in Southern California.
Other Guest Faculty as available
Tuition for the two-year program is $4,260. The tuition covers 18 days of instruction and practicum in a church setting (9 days the first year and 9 days the second year). Refreshment/snacks and meals (breakfast, lunch, snacks and one dinner) are provided during each three-day event. Faculty, resources, administrative costs, reprints and other materials are covered. Travel and lodging are not covered.
For questions and to make an appointment for an interview, contact Joyce Vidal-Thornburg at firstname.lastname@example.org